Monday 18 June 2007

Getting closer - The Neckband Story

I've tried a few combinations of yos and decreases for the neckband pattern, finally decided for this one.





In order to keep things Japanese, I coded the chart in the Japanese style and this will be your homework: to figure out the interpretation :).

It's a 6 stitches repeat pattern, so make sure you pick up a multiple of 6 stitches around the neckline - in case you want to use this pattern yourself, obviously.
I was quite lucky to get 96 stitches from the first picking attempt - this gave me exactly 16 repeats, (not 11 like I said before - thanks Joan for spotting this).

These are the moments when I feel God being on my side :).
Otherwise you have to increase/decrease a few stitches to get to a multiple of 6 stitches.

So, did you finish picking up the right number and knitting two rows of purled stitches?

Good - next thing - place stitch markers for your lace neckband - and of course I expect you to start placing them at the middle of front part first - in order to align the center stitch of the front with the center stitch (no. 4) of you neckband pattern. See the red line? That's the center I'm talking about.




Now, If you've done your homework right, that's what you'll be getting two hours later:




Neckband done. It does look a bit like the original ...but I'm not very sure about being identical.

I used my own method of casting off here - I invented it long time ago - but it might as well be a famous one - I never read any knitting books :).
...And it goes like this : * knit two tog, slip the stitch back to the left needle, purl two tog, slip the stitch back to the left needle * repeat from *. The p2tog produces a small bubble - and I thought they look nice in the overall context.

Right, next I am diving into the sleeves math and this is going to be tricky - stay tuned for the next episode.

No comments: